With XTR groupsets now following road groupsets to 11 speed there has been some confusion over upgrade options and compatibility on older wheels and hubs. Basically, unlike road groupsets, the new XTR cassette is the same length as the earlier 10 speed cassettes. Therefore if you have an existing 10 speed hub or wheel you can install the 11 speed XTR cassette without alteration.
Road groups however aren’t quite as simple. Here we’ll try to set out your options with our range of hubs and wheels:
- All Mono RS hubs and wheels using these hubs are fitted with 11 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. 10 speed Shimano and Sram can be fitted using the supplied spacer.
- All Mono Pro 3 and earlier hubs and wheels using these hubs are not compatible with 11 speed Shimano and the 11 speed cassette body cannot be fitted.
- All Pro 2 EVO 40t hubs fitted to 700c wheels are fitted with 11 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. 10 speed Shimano and Sram can be fitted using the supplied spacer.
- All Pro 2 EVO 40t hubs and mountain bike wheels using these hubs are fitted with standard 10 speed cassette compatible bodies, but an 11 speed body can be installed without issues.
- All pre Pro 2 EVO 40t mtb hubs and wheels fitted with these hubs are not compatible with 11 speed cassette bodies.
To enable the hubs to accept 11 speed road cassettes we have now moved the drive-side flange closer to the centre of the hub. Below are the various hub shells we have made.
Here are the two cassette bodies we make. The colours can vary slightly so the main identifying feature is the pocket machined at the bottom to the spline on the 11 speed body.